Effectively train your core from your home or gym with this FREE workout!
The Running Room in Kitchener asked me to present core training to their Half and Full Marathon clinics. For those of you that weren't there, here are the Cole's notes!
What is our core?
Our core is a group of muscles mainly responsible for stabilizing our body during movement. In fancy terms, our core is responsible for anti-extension, anti rotation, and anti lateral flexion.
What muscle groups make up the core?
Benefits of a strong core (as described by Harvard Medical School):
- Improves back health
- Allows for greater performance in on the job tasks, sport, and house work
- Greater balance and stability
How to effectively train your core:
In order to effectively train our core, we need to challenge our core in anti-extension, anti-rotation, and anti lateral flexion. In addition we need to avoid exercises that compromise back health such as sit ups and crunches.
USE THIS EFFECTIVE CORE TRAINING WORKOUT AT HOME OR IN THE GYMSET UP:
- Set a tabata timer to 20 seconds work 10 seconds rest for 5 exercises on tabata timer.
- Pick up a red resistance band,an adjustable kettlebell, and sliders from Fitness Depot to add to your home gym (if you want to get serious).
- Check out my first ever YouTube video below!
Complete this list in order, work 20 seconds and rest 10 seconds for each exercise:
A1. Suitcase Carry (alternate hands each 10 feet)
A2. Bear Crawl Lengths
A3. Turkish Get Ups (alternate arms each rep)
A4. Hollow Body Hold
A5. Banded High Plank
Thank you for reading! Click here for free apps to help with your fitness and productivity!
Leave a Reply.
Owner of Bieman Fitness in Guelph, ON. In Home Personal Trainer and Group Exercise Instructor. Big leafs fan.